Starting this fall, Oliver will be a Visiting Associate Arts Professor in the Interactive Media Arts Program at NYU Shanghai.
Previous to teaching, he worked in the software industry, where he has experience as a product manager, engineering manager, and software architect on products related to embedded systems, web and distributed applications, and programming language design. He was an early member of Nest (smart home appliances) and a number of early-stage startups, and has held positions at Apple and AOL.
Oliver also advises early-stage technology startups.
- Programming Language Design
- Software Literacy and Education
Select Patents and Publications
- A. Mucignat, O. Steele, S. Supramaniam, O. B.Hardison, and R. J. Schultz III, “Methods and Systems for Data Interchange Between a Network-Connected Thermostat and Cloud-Based Management Server,” U.S. Patent 9,098,279, filed July 17, 2011.
- C. J. Minsky, O. Steele, and M. D. R. Minsky, “System for Segmentation by Product Category of Product Images Within a Shopping Cart,” U.S. Patent 8,117,089, filed Feb 13, 2008.
- A. G. Wolff, D. T. Temkin, O. Steele, P. T. Withington, and H. B. Minsky, “Evaluating Expressions in a Software Environment,” U.S. Patent 7,340,724, filed Aug 15, 2003.
- M. D. Carlson, O. Steele, and A. G. Wolff, “Application Data Binding,” U.S. Patent 7,873,668, filed Aug 15, 2003.
- M. Minsky, O.-Y. Ming, O. Steele, F. P. Brooks Jr., and M. Behensky, “Feeling and Seeing: Issues in Force Display,” SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 235–241, Feb. 1990.